Ivy on Glenelg
9 Glenelg street, Campbell Town Tasmania 7210, AUSTRALIA
61 3 63811228
61 3 00000000
Centrally located between Launceston (45 minutes), Hobart (1.5 hours) and Devonport (1.5 hours) – Only 1 hour to the beautiful East Coast. A choice of three separate, fully appointed accommodation facilities, each with their own entrance, separate to the main entry to the house but under the same roof. One, (The Doctors Wing), sleeping up to five people with two bedrooms, (2 Queen Beds, 1 Single), full kitchen, sitting/TV room, 37cm flat screen LCD TV, wood and electric heating, and private bathroom with Heated Towel Rails The second, (Dry Cottage) comprising of Bed/Sitting room (Queen Bed), full kitchen, electric heating and en-suite bathroom with heated towel rails with disabled facilities. The third, (The Turnbull Suite) consisting of Bed/Sitting room (Queen Bed),electric heating and private bathroom with heated towel rails, all areas having access to large, sun drenched courtyards. Choice of continental or cooked breakfast provisions, guest laundry, off street parking, TV/DVD facilities, and BBQ. Beautiful gardens with a pond. Five minute stroll to Zeps Café/Restaurant and Cafe 100 both excellent eating establishments
Ivy Cottage is believed to have been constructed around 1838, by James Hamilton who was a storekeeper and wine merchant in Campbell Town and was originally called “Dry Cottage”. It was purchased by Dr Adam Turnbull in 1871 for 325 pounds and remained in the Turnbull family until the late 1940’s.
Dr Turnbull was born at “Bacclough Place” in Edinburgh in 1803. He obtained his medical degree and then married Margaret, who was the daughter of the Post Master General of Scotland, on October 12th 1824. They travelled to “Van Diemans Land” on the City of Edinburgh arriving in Hobart Town on April 13th, 1825. He was soon chosen to be the private secretary to Governor Arthur and he acted in a similar capacity to Governor Sir John Franklin, with whom he enjoyed a warm lifelong relationship.